Online Marketers Bad at Marketing Themselves
If you’re looking for a job in the booming online marketing space, having a standout resume and cover letter are a must. The old-fashion resume templates and cookie-cutter cover letters just don’t cut it in this industry that values experience, enthusiasm, and creativity.
It’s ironic that people who specialize in promoting other people’s stuff are often so bad at marketing themselves.
Brian Littleton, Founder and CEO of ShareASale and President of the Performance Marketing Association’s Board of Directors, says that over 100 resumes cross his desk every week and he is shocked by how boring and lifeless these first impressions can be.
“Applicants still apply with boring resumes and no life in their cover letters,” Littleton says. “People need to tell a story of who they are.”
For example, Littleton says:
Boring: “I have the skills and expertise needed to match the qualifications of the job”.
Exciting: “I took a look at your company, and love the concept! I worked for 2 years at ***** who had an Affiliate Marketing program and I always wanted to learn more about it. I feel like my experience with Adwords and analytics will really help me here.”
He also notes that:
No cover letter = immediate dismissal. I don’t even read the resume.
Generic cover letter = I read your resume with true boredom.
Exciting, unique, well thought out cover letter of why you feel like the job is good for you = I read your resume intently.
However, there’s a fine line between telling your story and shameless elf-promotion. According to job site Glassdoor, there are a few rules to follow including: be interesting, be authentic, provide value, and don’t overdo it.
Here are few more pro tips for creating a more modern resume and cover letter:
- Stand Out with These Modern Resume Tips
- The 24-Step Modern Resume
- Crafting a Perfect Modern Resume
- 10 Resume Mistakes You Can’t Afford To Make
- Getting Results in the Jobs Market: The Modern Resume
- 7 New Rules for Writing the Perfect Cover Letter
- How to Write a Killer Cover Letter in the 21st Century
- How to Write a Great Cover Letter
If you are looking for a job in performance marketing or have an open position and looking to hire, check out the PMA’s Job Board. It’s free.
Latest posts by Lisa Picarille (see all)
- Co-opetition: So When is it a Good Idea to Work With a Competitor? - November 9, 2015
- PMA Members Out in Full Force at ASE15 - August 17, 2015
- Let’s Meet at ASE15 - July 27, 2015