Jobs and New Oppor – TUNE – ities
It’s a long-standing tradition for songs to be written about work. It’s a subject that comes up nearly as often as lyrics about girls, cars, partying and alcohol.
Although most of the popular work songs are about hating your job, you don’t have to be stuck on repeat in your current work situation. You can change your tune by browsing the PMA Job Board.
It’s the place to find new opportunities in the Performance Marketing industry that will make your career sing. It’s free to browse and to post a job.
Meanwhile, here are some of the best songs about the working life:
- 1955 Tennessee Ernie Ford, Sixteen Tons
- 1960 Sam Cooke, Chain Gang
- 1964 The Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night
- 1965 Bob Dylan, Maggie’s Farm
- 1966 Lee Dorsey, Working in the Coal Mine
- 1966 The Vogues, Five O’clock World
- 1968 Glen Campbell, Wichita Lineman
- 1968 The Rolling Stones, The Salt of the Earth
- 1970 John Lennon, Working Class Hero
- 1971 Loretta Lynn, One’s on the Way
- 1974 Rush, Working Man
- 1974 Randy Newman, Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man)
- 1977 Johnny Paycheck, Take This Job and Shove It
- 1977 The Clash, Career Opportunities
- 1977 Elvis Costello, Welcome to the Working Week
- 1978 John Prine, Fish and Whistle
- 1978 Styx, Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
- 1980 Dolly Parton, 9 to 5
- 1981 The Ramones, It’s Not My Place (In the 9 to 5 World)
- 1981 Loverboy, Working for the Weekend
- 1982 Todd Rundgren, Bang the Drum All Day
- 1982 Bruce Springsteen, Atlantic City
- 1982 Huey Lewis and The News, Workin’ for a Livin’
- 1983 Donna Summer, She Works Hard for the Money
- 1984 Utah Phillips, Hallelujah, I’m a Bum
- 1985 Dire Straits, Money for Nothing
- 1986 The Bangles, Manic Monday
- 1987, R.E.M., Finest Worksong
- 1987 Mick Jagger, Let’s Work
- 1991 Skid Row, Slave to the Grind
- 1992 Uncle Tupelo, Grindstone
- 1997 Steve Earle, Telephone Road
- 1998 Robbie Fulks, Let’s Kill Saturday Night
- 1998 Bachman Turner Overdrive, Takin’ Care of Business
- 1999 Lynyrd Skynyrd, Workin’
- 2006 Belle and Sebastian, White Collar Boy
- 2010 Dropkick Murphy’s, Worker’s Song
- 2013 Britney Spears, Work Bitch
Do you have a favorite work song that’s not on the list? Let us know!
The following two tabs change content below.
Online Content Strategist at LisaPicarille.com
Lisa Picarille is an online content strategist focusing on digital marketing, branding, and social media for performance marketing companies. She is the former Content Director for the PMA and teaches Internet Marketing at USF Online. An award-winning journalist, Lisa headed the news departments of Wired.com, TechWeb.com, TechTV.com and CRN.com and wrote for Rolling Stone, CRM Magazine, PCWeek, MacWeek, Computerworld and InfoWorld. Lisa has 3 awards for Performance Marketing Advocacy.
Latest posts by Lisa Picarille (see all)
- Co-opetition: So When is it a Good Idea to Work With a Competitor? - November 9, 2015
- PMA Members Out in Full Force at ASE15 - August 17, 2015
- Let’s Meet at ASE15 - July 27, 2015
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.